Welcome to Clinical Trial Confidential.

We believe the clinical trial industry lacks a platform for open, transparent conversation. This lack of transparency inhibits progress. In this industry, that means patients are the ones that suffer.

Here you can choose to register an account, post anonymously or both. It is our hope that the ability to post anonymously will help foster useful conversation by allowing users to express their opinions without fear of retaliation, fear of appearing ignorant and otherwise allowing users to express opinions that may be contrary to their employer or that their position may not permit.

We believe great ideas should stand on their own merit and not the credentials of their author.

We hope these values will foster an environment of collaboration.

Blood draws for early cancer detection

I feel like there are a ton of these right now and they are really inconsistent in terms of budget. Anybody else seeing these? Hoping to compare notes with someone.

I agree 100%. This has been the toughest type of study for me to negotiate the budget, or even get clarification on their own language in the CTA.

We have a few of these and they tend me be really fast in budget negotiations with a couple exceptions. They seem to range from $1200-$1600/patient with one terrible company who wants to pay closer to $300/patient.

Great studies if you have the volume though.

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"
Quote from brad on May 5, 2022, 11:19 pm

We have a few of these and they tend me be really fast in budget negotiations with a couple exceptions. They seem to range from $1200-$1600/patient with one terrible company who wants to pay closer to $300/patient.

Great studies if you have the volume though.

These are all over the place, but be very wary when you take them.  They seem like easy money, but then the payments are held hostage until ALL data are entered (this could take 6-9 months) AND some of the start-up companies tend to bait and switch the inclusion/exclusion so you think you'll enroll study arms that they close immediately. Higher phase cancers tend to take more work. Therefore either normalize your budget by the targeted patient population or stratify based on phase enrolled (not my preference here, it doesn't feel right to put a price tag on someone's terminal illness).

You also have to be very clear on the expected data entry. We had one sponsor come to us with a russian nest doll source document - The sponsors expected 7 pages of source PER polyp in a colorectal study. Thats a pandora's box of work and way too much for what they are paying.

I've gotten those low ball offers for $300/patient (generally "normals"), and we've had as high as 2,200/patient for the higher phase patients with tissue biopsies. We are averaging around 1500 per patient with OH, but again, be very careful with the hidden work.

In general - Just be careful. Use these studies as fillers, and be damn sure you communicate fully the expected data collection, any software package/portal used, and never agree to enrollment minimums without a substantial OH risk bump.

There is one advantage to these studies - Since they are one-and-dones, if the sponsor ticks you off, just... stop enrolling..... they change their mind really quick once they realize your value.