Welcome to Clinical Trial Confidential.

We believe the clinical trial industry lacks a platform for open, transparent conversation. This lack of transparency inhibits progress. In this industry, that means patients are the ones that suffer.

Here you can choose to register an account, post anonymously or both. It is our hope that the ability to post anonymously will help foster useful conversation by allowing users to express their opinions without fear of retaliation, fear of appearing ignorant and otherwise allowing users to express opinions that may be contrary to their employer or that their position may not permit.

We believe great ideas should stand on their own merit and not the credentials of their author.

We hope these values will foster an environment of collaboration.

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumTopics: The Waiting RoomCareer advice

Career advice

I'm a senior CRC and my company doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I want to apply for CRA jobs but I feel confined to this place because they really rely on me, and I know if I leave it would really go down hill.

Do I just wait it out and see if this company starts to show results? Do I apply for CRA jobs? I also only have a year of experience so I feel like I might not even be able to get a CRA job?

I'm probably not the greatest career advice giver but I would consider talking to your boss (if they are the type of boss you can talk to about these things). 

It is hard to provide a very deep career track at the site level so that can certainly be challenging. As a site manager, I would encourage my employees to look elsewhere if they didn't feel fulfilled. 

Either way, don't feel obligated to stick around just because you feel the site relies on you too much.

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"
Quote from Guest on May 11, 2022, 1:07 pm

I'm a senior CRC and my company doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I want to apply for CRA jobs but I feel confined to this place because they really rely on me, and I know if I leave it would really go down hill.

Do I just wait it out and see if this company starts to show results? Do I apply for CRA jobs? I also only have a year of experience so I feel like I might not even be able to get a CRA job?

Well, where to begin? Not knowing the circumstances, let me try to help with some general thoughts after being for decades in this industry. Do you feel you are satisfied with what you do? Does it fulfil you? Do you feel valued? If there is just one NO - there is room for improvement. YOU 'only' contribute to results, doing a good job per your contract. What are you waiting for? The time you wait means stillstand, doubts and more bad stuff for you. Start with discussing your thoughts openly with your company. 
Furthermore, one year as CRC isn't that long - (we consider at our site every new CRC still a 'rookie' for the first year because there are a million things to learn, absorb and get used to. And I mean that with the utmost respect! )- however, it is not nothing. Some newbies are leading the pack after weeks because they 'attack' there job and are willing to learn. If it is your desire to become a CRA- start looking. Throughout the interview process you might learn what the market requires becoming a CRA. And that enables you to decide on next steps for YOU. Just go for it!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 
Look inside YOU, lean in and you will make the right decision. There is never a perfect path. There is YOUR path only. Make it work for you, than t automatically will work for your company as well.

I wish you all the best for your decision and future in this exciting industry.

Thank you so much! It's great to have feedback from someone who has been in the industry for a while. I really appreciate you both taking the time to respond!

Remember, your mental health is more important than the company going down hill. The company will find a replacement for you.

You have many skills required for a Clinical Research Associate (CRA) role, such as strong organizational skills, communication skills, TIME MANAGEMENT, and critical skills. However, some CRA positions may require more extensive field experience than you have, with only one year of experience. Nonetheless, some companies value the quality of experience over quantity, especially if you have demonstrated rapid advancement and significant responsibilities in your current role as a CRC.

If you seek leadership opportunities, consider roles like Clinical Project Manager, Research Compliance Officer, or Program Manager. These positions require strong leadership and organizational skills, which you may have already demonstrated.

If your current company doesn't offer the job you desire, you may want to consider suggesting a new role that matches your skills and would benefit the company. For example, a research compliance or project management position could mutually benefit you and your employer. Companies often look for candidates with broad skills and specific expertise, known as 'T-shaped' candidates. To stand out, you may consider obtaining a certification such as CCRC, CCPR, PMP, or ACRP-PM. This demonstrates that you have a T-shaped profile and could give you an advantage over other candidates. Moreover, many websites offer to reimburse the costs of exams and training.

Networking is crucial in getting a CRA role. Connecting with a lead at a CRO can increase your chances of landing the job. Attending conferences like the SOS Conference is an excellent way to start building your network. Network, network, network!