Welcome to Clinical Trial Confidential.

We believe the clinical trial industry lacks a platform for open, transparent conversation. This lack of transparency inhibits progress. In this industry, that means patients are the ones that suffer.

Here you can choose to register an account, post anonymously or both. It is our hope that the ability to post anonymously will help foster useful conversation by allowing users to express their opinions without fear of retaliation, fear of appearing ignorant and otherwise allowing users to express opinions that may be contrary to their employer or that their position may not permit.

We believe great ideas should stand on their own merit and not the credentials of their author.

We hope these values will foster an environment of collaboration.

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumTopics: RecruitmentIn-House Marketing

In-House Marketing

Anyone had success with in-house marketing?

I'm currently running campaigns on Facebook and Instagram on my own (with absolutely no marketing experience 😅) , but I'm not seeing real results.

How do you target people? I feel like alot of big companies are getting this wrong, because I follow clinical trials and clinical research on Facebook, so I receive a bunch of ads from recruiting trials, therefore they are wasting money.

I find that most of the patients I have don't follow clinical research pages on facebook or even pages that relate to their disease process, because it publicizes their illness. So I have been just sending out ads in a 30 mile radius of the site and hoping they stick.

Do you guys use different targeting for your ads?

Because Facebook got in so much trouble years ago, you can open up any company's facebook page and see all of the ads they have ever run.  If you know a site out there is making a lot of money and being successful with advertising you should just look at their page.

In terms of targeting - ads within a 30 mile radius of your site should work totally fine.  There's more efficient ways to do things when you get data, but this is plenty cost effective.

Just research the demographic of your patient population and match as closely as you can. You'll get some hits. Actually converting them is a whole different story though.

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"
Quote from Guest on May 4, 2022, 5:53 pm

Because Facebook got in so much trouble years ago, you can open up any company's facebook page and see all of the ads they have ever run.  If you know a site out there is making a lot of money and being successful with advertising you should just look at their page.

In terms of targeting - ads within a 30 mile radius of your site should work totally fine.  There's more efficient ways to do things when you get data, but this is plenty cost effective.

This is great advice! Never thought of this. Thanks!

Quote from OutdatedECG on May 4, 2022, 3:55 pm

I'm currently running campaigns on Facebook and Instagram on my own (with absolutely no marketing experience 😅) , but I'm not seeing real results.

How do you target people? I feel like alot of big companies are getting this wrong, because I follow clinical trials and clinical research on Facebook, so I receive a bunch of ads from recruiting trials, therefore they are wasting money.

I find that most of the patients I have don't follow clinical research pages on facebook or even pages that relate to their disease process, because it publicizes their illness. So I have been just sending out ads in a 30 mile radius of the site and hoping they stick.

We do a mixture of marketing approaches and it seems to work well enough on a very tight budget. 
We have preferred vendors we are working with creating ads (we do have a clear  vision about what to put in the ad and even what kind of pix they should embed). We do not leave the entire creative to those vendors 😉 We brand all ads with our corporate colors if doable. We expand reach of those 4 week digital campaigns by adding FB/IN boosts. AND we have agreements with all NP organization/ Social Media groups etc. to widespread upcoming studies information. That helps tremendously to find suited participants and in case of DNQ potential new additions to our proprietary Volunteer Database.
Since we are located just 45mi away from the Mexican boarder- we go with 50mi radius to cover entire San Diego with our reach.

Quote from CJO on May 10, 2022, 10:48 pm

We do a mixture of marketing approaches and it seems to work well enough on a very tight budget. 
We have preferred vendors we are working with creating ads (we do have a clear  vision about what to put in the ad and even what kind of pix they should embed). We do not leave the entire creative to those vendors 😉 We brand all ads with our corporate colors if doable. We expand reach of those 4 week digital campaigns by adding FB/IN boosts. AND we have agreements with all NP organization/ Social Media groups etc. to widespread upcoming studies information. That helps tremendously to find suited participants and in case of DNQ potential new additions to our proprietary Volunteer Database.
Since we are located just 45mi away from the Mexican boarder- we go with 50mi radius to cover entire San Diego with our reach.

Thank you so much! I like that you are part of the process with the vendors, are you able to do the same thing with vendors provided by the sponsor?

Quote from OutdatedECG on May 11, 2022, 12:22 pm

Thank you so much! I like that you are part of the process with the vendors, are you able to do the same thing with vendors provided by the sponsor?

Nope, sponsor launched processes do not allow for site input. I wish they would value our priceless local knowledge. It would save a ton of money. Actually, most of the sponsor campaigns are just checkboxes on their end. It often doesn't seem tailored in any way to the needs of potential future participants- too complicated language, overload of information, pictures not catchy for the targeted population....
Just to be clear, even with our own advertisement process - we needed to be outspoken and very firm on our requests. And if a vendor is not willing to work with us as needed, we respect their choice not working with us and take our budget somewhere else 😉 Hope this helps. Feel free to approach me with more questions.

Quote from CJO on May 12, 2022, 12:29 am
Quote from OutdatedECG on May 11, 2022, 12:22 pm

Nope, sponsor launched processes do not allow for site input. I wish they would value our priceless local knowledge. It would save a ton of money. Actually, most of the sponsor campaigns are just checkboxes on their end. It often doesn't seem tailored in any way to the needs of potential future participants- too complicated language, overload of information, pictures not catchy for the targeted population....
Just to be clear, even with our own advertisement process - we needed to be outspoken and very firm on our requests. And if a vendor is not willing to work with us as needed, we respect their choice not working with us and take our budget somewhere else 😉 Hope this helps. Feel free to approach me with more questions.

Thank you, it's very helpful!

In principle I'm a big fan of doing more in-house. 

BUT, a Facebook campaign across 50 sites reaching 100M people will typically have a cost per result HALF of what a single site campaign reaching 3M people would.

I've seen this many times over. 

Great points here- can you or anyone here share vendors who doesn’t charge a lot on fees and actually use for ads?Â