Welcome to Clinical Trial Confidential.

We believe the clinical trial industry lacks a platform for open, transparent conversation. This lack of transparency inhibits progress. In this industry, that means patients are the ones that suffer.

Here you can choose to register an account, post anonymously or both. It is our hope that the ability to post anonymously will help foster useful conversation by allowing users to express their opinions without fear of retaliation, fear of appearing ignorant and otherwise allowing users to express opinions that may be contrary to their employer or that their position may not permit.

We believe great ideas should stand on their own merit and not the credentials of their author.

We hope these values will foster an environment of collaboration.

Non-retaliation policies, fact or fiction

Pretty much all large companies have some kind of non-retaliation policy. The idea is great, if you are a whistle-blower who wants to expose your employer as not-all-that-ethical, you should be able to do so, without the chance of getting fired/blacklisted/marked4life because of it.

Sounds great on paper, but i'm suspecting that it works completly differently in real life.

Just look around, Brad and Dan are two cheeky fuckers who bring up a lot of good points about the shit things in this industry.

Now look who reacts and comments on those posts. Employees of small-medium sites, and people who are employed as "helping clinical trials to jump and fart at the same time" or some meaningless phrase like that.

So where are all the people from CROs and sponsors? Lurking? Hypnotizing that non retaliation policy? That won't get us anywhere, we need your opinions and insight.

So i'm inviting everyone to test the waters of online anonimity, and share your experiences with non-retaliation, non-disclousures and all other bullshit that is keeping important mouths shut. Do these things really work? Are they just virtue signalling? Do you know a person working in a totes different company, who got screwed by trusting these policies?

This is the spot to drop us a hint, trust me, it will be beneficial to all parties involved

P.S. i know you now want to try it, just wait until you feel a fart coming, stand up straight, and when the moment is right, jump and try to fart mid-air. That's what "making clinical trials easy" is like. You'll probably end up shitting your pants and feeling lucky that no one got it on camera

i have a lot of people message me on the side who are afraid to say anything publicly. it sucks.

the care access thing really blew my mind because so many people messaged me saying they either tried to speak up and were run off or were afraid to say anything because they were scared.

that's why i started this site though. i kind of hoped more people would be willing to come vent their shit because there are a lot of good people doing what they do but there are just as many absolute bullshit artists and not enough people calling them out.

also i shit my pants so thanks a lot.

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"
Quote from brad on July 28, 2023, 7:26 pm

i have a lot of people message me on the side who are afraid to say anything publicly. it sucks.

the care access thing really blew my mind because so many people messaged me saying they either tried to speak up and were run off or were afraid to say anything because they were scared.

that's why i started this site though. i kind of hoped more people would be willing to come vent their shit because there are a lot of good people doing what they do but there are just as many absolute bullshit artists and not enough people calling them out.

also i shit my pants so thanks a lot.

Well god bless Brad and his britches, both of them are doing important work, by keeping this forum up

I just got the chance to have a look into Dan's podcasts on inefficiencies and e-everything. Both were sorely lacking input from what i could call the dark side of the moon (CROs and sponsors)

So such podcasts really need that input. This forum could do a lot of good with a bit of attention. The solution is obvious, before scheduled streams, open a thread here dedicated to that particular stream topic. 

Give the silent portion of the discussion a chance to scream in the void of internet anonimity. Bring their side to the discussion in podcasts. Bring more people here, to raise awareness and roll the snowball

That's like a win-win-win

This is a good idea. I'll work on it

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"

Speaking of, Dan just started a "crc stories" stream, if there's ever an idea to do a "CRA stories" thing, open a thread here first, so the anonymous shittalking can flow freely. CROs are a bitch with the whole censorship thing

It's understandable if you're worried about getting backlashed at work. You have the right to speak out against wrongdoing without fearing negative consequences. Retaliation can create a toxic work environment and make you hesitant to speak up. So, taking preventive measures and protecting yourself and others who speak out against unfairness at work is super important. (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, n.d.-a). Federal laws protect employees from retaliation for minimum wage, safety, and discrimination. (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, n.d.-b).

However, the employment-at-will doctrine, especially prevalent in the U.S., can often mask retaliation as a legitimate termination, making it hard for employees to prove the real motive behind their termination (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, n.d.-a). This doctrine allows the termination of employment by either party for almost any reason, complicating the scenario for those who want to report misconduct.

Clinical research can be a real headache sometimes. People involved in it often face problems but might feel uncomfortable speaking up about them. That's a big issue because research coordinators have much on their plate and might need help seeing everything happening. Plus, if you're working under at-will employment, you could get fired if you're not careful. The high chance of performance risks can create a culture of fear and make people even less likely to report anything wrong. It's a real shame because it can lead to some bad practices going unchecked. (Worker.gov, n.d.).

Leaders who focus on creating an open and safe environment where people feel comfortable discussing their concerns can help reduce worries about retaliation. You can do this by having a way to report problems anonymously, enabling open communication channels, and making sure everyone feels supported. Choosing leaders with the right skills, experience, and values is essential to promote a culture of transparency, accountability, and collaboration. This way, you can create an atmosphere of trust, encourage people to report issues, and ultimately get better outcomes.

If you want to know more about how companies deal with retaliation at work and the difficulties in implementing these policies, check out the resources offered by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. (n.d.-a; n.d.-b) and Worker.gov (n.d.).

References: