Welcome to Clinical Trial Confidential.

We believe the clinical trial industry lacks a platform for open, transparent conversation. This lack of transparency inhibits progress. In this industry, that means patients are the ones that suffer.

Here you can choose to register an account, post anonymously or both. It is our hope that the ability to post anonymously will help foster useful conversation by allowing users to express their opinions without fear of retaliation, fear of appearing ignorant and otherwise allowing users to express opinions that may be contrary to their employer or that their position may not permit.

We believe great ideas should stand on their own merit and not the credentials of their author.

We hope these values will foster an environment of collaboration.

OH justification and contract terms

Just wanted to share our letter for OH justification and try out the file upload feature on the forum. Open to hearing others techniques as well.

Uploaded files:
Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"

This is exactly the type of transparency we need. Thank you for sharing this Brad, I'm going to show it to my site director.

What percentage of studies would you say turn you down as a site after showing this letter?

Quote from OutdatedECG on May 6, 2022, 12:21 pm

This is exactly the type of transparency we need. Thank you for sharing this Brad, I'm going to show it to my site director.

What percentage of studies would you say turn you down as a site after showing this letter?

Nobody turns us down but we may still have to negotiate the OH, ending up at 35%. We can live with it. Just starts the negotiation high so we have a little room to play.

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"
Quote from brad on May 6, 2022, 1:28 pm
Quote from OutdatedECG on May 6, 2022, 12:21 pm

Nobody turns us down but we may still have to negotiate the OH, ending up at 35%. We can live with it. Just starts the negotiation high so we have a little room to play.

Starting 2021, we upped our OH to 44%. This year its 47.5%, and next year we've already confirmed we are going to 50.3%. Let it escalate, and sponsors will pay.  Keep in mind they OH they are comparing you to are from academic universities, who get state dollars to subsidy their operations. Gas prices and electric bills aren't getting any cheaper, and you need to make sure you are keeping your lights on.

Quote from brad on May 5, 2022, 2:31 pm

Just wanted to share our letter for OH justification and try out the file upload feature on the forum. Open to hearing others techniques as well.

You spell it right out, and I love the non-negotiable payment terms included in the letter in the event there's ever a question.

We like to include in our letter " "A non-negotiable Institutional Overhead (OH) charge of XXX minimum is assessed on all per-patient budget proposals, pass-through expenses, and invoiced expenses to facilitate the Clinical Resaerch Department's necessary office, personnel, and administrative activities. This charge rate is subject to change according to sponsor requests that incur additional financial risk/burden to the site (quarterly vs. monthly reimbursement, required contractual withholding, etc.). "

Also, we established in our SOPs and institutional policies no trials will be approved if they are underfunded. That way the site sets a quality standard to ensure trials have what they need to be performed properly.

Do you have a sample SOP which discusses the underfunding of trials?