Welcome to Clinical Trial Confidential.

We believe the clinical trial industry lacks a platform for open, transparent conversation. This lack of transparency inhibits progress. In this industry, that means patients are the ones that suffer.

Here you can choose to register an account, post anonymously or both. It is our hope that the ability to post anonymously will help foster useful conversation by allowing users to express their opinions without fear of retaliation, fear of appearing ignorant and otherwise allowing users to express opinions that may be contrary to their employer or that their position may not permit.

We believe great ideas should stand on their own merit and not the credentials of their author.

We hope these values will foster an environment of collaboration.

The Perfect Ratio

As we continue to grow, I am wondering what other sites feel is the perfect ratio of CRCs to studies?

I've heard any where from 8 studies/CRC to 3 studies/CRC. 

I guess alot of it would depend on the type of study, for some studies sponsors may expect sites to enroll alot more patients. But just a general idea maybe?

Or is there a better metric to decide workload?

Quote from OutdatedECG on May 13, 2022, 7:54 pm

As we continue to grow, I am wondering what other sites feel is the perfect ratio of CRCs to studies?

I guess alot of it would depend on the type of study, for some studies sponsors may expect sites to enroll alot more patients. But just a general idea maybe?

This is a great question and I'm curious to hear others thoughts.

I find it's really more of an art than a science. Depends on the studies, the revenue for each study and the strengths of the coordinators.

A lot of other things to consider as well. Do your coordinators do their own data entry? Do they do their own prescreening calls?

It's a toughie but that's part of the fun.

Hightower Clinical / Note to File Podcast / Existential Dilettante / "Specialization is for insects"
Quote from OutdatedECG on May 13, 2022, 7:54 pm

We allocate different types of studies to the CRC FTE.

Since there is such a crazy array of trial types and complexities, its hard to have a fixed numerical ratio. Oncology trials take an insane amount of work where those little blood draw studies help to fill the time.

For example, for each CRC, we try to have 1 complex,  2-3 general, and 4-6 blood draw studies.  Depending on the CRC's expertise, that generally puts them at the optimal 80% productivity load.

Do you have a tool for calculating 80% productivity? A spreadsheet?